Dental fillings restore decayed and damaged teeth. They are a recommended treatment for fractured enamel, teeth worn down by grinding, and similar dental complications. If you experience symptoms like the following, you may need one or more fillings:
- Sensitivity to hot, cold, or sweet foods and beverages
- Pain when chewing or biting down
A thorough dental examination, accompanied by X-rays, will allow your dentist to determine if you need a filling. If the result is affirmative, it is important to have any cavities filled immediately, as they can lead to infection and dental abscesses.
Common filling materials include:
- Composite resins: These fillings are chemically bonded to your teeth and matched to your tooth colour, creating a natural appearance
- RMGI (Resin Modified Glass Ionomer): These tooth-coloured fillings are recommended for the elderly and children because application is both quick and comfortable
- Gold: Gold fillings are gentle on the gums and can last over 20 years
- Porcelain: Porcelain fillings are natural in appearance, stain-resistant, and usually cover most of the tooth
- Amalgam: Durable and affordable, amalgam fillings consist of blended materials that are wear-resistant
Your dentist will recommend a filling type based on the nature and extent of the tooth problem. Other factors taken into account include:
- Cavity location
- Biting force at the site
- Your budget and preferences
Let the expert dental team at Quality Dental Care provide the filling treatment that matches your needs and budget. To schedule a free consultation, contact us today.