Your dentist will be able to identify if you need a crown by performing a thorough examination of your mouth.
A crown will be considered if any of the following apply to you:
- We may place a crown after a large filling has been performed. This will ensure the tooth is not susceptible to cracks and wear.
- Crowns can be used to repair broken cusps (the pointed parts of a tooth that break down your food). In cases where the cusps are worn, a crown can be used to restore them.
- If a tooth has sustained wear due to a highly acidic diet or as a result of tooth grinding, crowns can restore it to a normal and healthy size.
- The appearance of a tooth can be improved with a crown. In placing a custom-made crown over the top of the tooth in question, its shape and shade can be improved. Smaller gaps in your smile can also be eliminated using crowns.
- After a root canal to protect a tooth from breaking.